Welcome To the Neighbourhood

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Day 122

May 27, 2005
Sunny with light showers in the afternoon

I've finished the puzzle tonight. I also finished the last of the pizza. I'm going to run down to the hobby shop on 6th tomorrow and get another puzzle. I would have a garage sale to get rid of the growing number of puzzles if I could do it elsewhere. Anywhere but here.

I wanted to find home again. This is not it. Mom's not here. I'm not here.

I've been thinking about Lee since running into Mark. He went home after school. I went to Cardigan. Sure, Sandy was good to my mother and I. The Noonans were probably the kindest people I'll ever meet without judging their sincerity. "Uncle" Bradley, while not my uncle, was like the father I was supposed to have. It was a "swell" community. It's hard not to talk as if it weren't 1924 about the people of Cardigan. The place was locked in the past. Everyone knew you.

Coming back west was some sort of attempt to find something that wasn't in Cardigan. Anonymity? I don't have that here either, even though I've tried. Mark is bound to tell everyone that he saw me. I always got the news from Lee, via him, before. I miss the lot, but I'm not ready to talk to anyone. What do I tell them? That my mother killed herself while I was out getting vegetables from the market? That she was a very ill woman, but told no one, not even me? Everyone knew my mom.

I wanted to get my line unlisted, but I'm not sure how much I have to do. I checked superpages and I'm listed. Address, phone, everything. And "E. Brennan" was just another thing we had in common. I couldn't find a way to get it removed from there. And then there is the business with the phone books... if anyone still uses those. I don't even know if I'm in any of them. Why couldn't I have thought of any of this when I was learning how to even get a phone line?

I guess I'm going to go down to 6th tomorrow and get another puzzle.

5 Comments:

  • I just have nothing but questions about this post, which is a good thing. I can't help but wonder why she needs a new puzzle or anonymity? By getting out of the phone book she is essentially attempting to become a non-person. "Uncle" and "swell" give me the impression that Old Man Bradley was a bit of a perv.

    Maybe the creepy cult in the grotto from 1901 has found a home out east and she's fleeing them. Perhaps she has something they want.

    By Blogger AWGB, at 5/30/2005 12:21:00 a.m.  

  • I found the parts about the Noonans hard to follow, and I'm a bit confused about Cardigan. Would you maybe put in a few words to clarify?

    I'm interested in learning more about Edith's mother now, and perhaps also her history with Lee.

    By Blogger Briana Tomkinson, at 5/30/2005 12:40:00 a.m.  

  • I thought that Cardigan was her home town and that the Noonan folks had all her childhood stuff in the barn.

    I think Edith may have suffered some traumatic embarrassment of sorts. In the original post, it sort of seems this way.

    By Blogger AWGB, at 5/30/2005 01:18:00 a.m.  

  • It's the italicism of Cardigan that confused me I think - it made me think it was a title of something, because I forgot the name of her hometown.

    I'll have to re-read the original post about Edith. I still think that this one needs a few words to clarify some things. Each story should stand on its own, because a new reader will come in at the most recent one and read backwards. Also we have so many characters and plot threads here that a reminder or two would be kind to ourselves and our readers.

    By Blogger Briana Tomkinson, at 5/30/2005 08:47:00 a.m.  

  • Cardigan: Edith went to Cardigan, where her mother dies, for a year prior to March this year. The emphasis is meant to be some sort "why the fuck did we go to Cardigan?"

    Swell: How I meant it (you can take it elsewhere, of course) was that it was a oler term that she found herself using once she moved to Cardigan but never felt quite right using it. And she couldn't find a better word to describe the town of 382.

    The folks mentioned were just examples that she was still able to be social in PEI, but once her mother died, she high-tailed it and went to a place she knew well, but hoped to not be accessed.

    Puzzle: She was woking on the kitten puzzle when she ran into Mark. She keeps to herself and spends her time doing puzzles.

    I chose the name Edith and her reserved nature to make her as an 80-year old trapped in a 20-something's body. Part of that is the need to do old lady things like puzzles. Perhaps en route to the puzzle shop she'll pick up knitting. Who knows?

    By Blogger Corinne, at 5/30/2005 02:44:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home